Deutsch

English

Institute of Hydraulic Engineering
and Water Resources Management
History

Since the RWTH Aachen University's founding in 1870, Prof. Otto Intze lectured hydraulic engineering in flood protection, water power and dam construction. In 1896, the first chair for hydraulic engineering was established by Prof. Nikolaus Holz. He built an experimental hall with a floor space of 170 m² at the end of the 1920s and was succeeded by Prof. Alfred Buntru in 1936, who was more politically than scientifically engaged. From the beginning of the Second World War up to the reinstatement of Alfred Buntru in 1951, the chair was vacant. In 1955, a new experimental hall of 900 m² was built in the Kreuzherrenstrasse in Aachen. This laboratory formed the core of the institute until 2013, when a new building connected with an experimental hall of 2200 m² was built in the Mies-van-der-Rohe-Strasse in Aachen. Alfred Buntru was succeeded by Prof. Wilhelm Borkenstein in 1958, who focused on planning and construction of hydro power plants and dams and renamed the chair in "Lehrstuhl und Institut für Wasserbau und Wasserwirtschaft" in 1960. His successors were Gerhard Rouvé (1972-1994), Prof. Jürgen Köngeter (1994-2007) and Prof. Holger Schüttrumpf (2007-present).